2009年2月8日 星期日

23:20 on Jan 23, 2009

Words between Siblings (Spoken or not)



There was such a night:


After the festive family gathering,


Having bode their aged parents goodnight,


Dad, the big bro, said “We need to talk about money”


To his brothers.


Parked their cars along the road, stepped out to the side walk


In the chilly wind, they


Left their children on the cars


And spoke.



* * *


Discussion soon turned ugly argument


Loudly the men spoke


While the women looked on.


Each had his own concerns


And all failed to take a step back to put themselves


In each other’s shoes.



* * *


I tried not to speak


The chaos outside was drowning out my own Bro’s phone chatter, and the radio’s.


I listened but didn’t want to hear


Just hiding behind the latest edition of Economist


Squinting in the dark


I don’t want to know.



* * *


You have no idea how tough my business is getting.”


I have work so hard to put things in order in this family.”


You called this accounting? Hah!”


I am so tired.”


And you expect me to pay you back – all ten grand – in one go – now?”


“Think I am in an easy position?”


“Don’t think that you are indispensable to us!” –


I guess that must hurt. A lot.


Cruel words as such


A brief silence.



* * *


And there was the radio


Soft and mellow in background, until


The clock struck 11:30.


Wailing relatives lamented


Deadly accident cost six lives


Gone instantly on the road


With no chance for farewell – or any other words – at all.


“Money can’t bring my dear bro back,


“What’s the use giving me that?”



* * *


In the awkward air


No words exchanged between me


And my dear bro


Except that I wanted so much


To scream


I don’t want this to happen between us


Never


But is it something inevitable


When we grow old?



* * *


Phone rang


Out came the frisky voice of an 8-year-old.


Through the two panes of glass


I saw my cousins in their family car


Smiling and waving


Locked up in their own little quiet world


Sweet, innocent kids they are


Little brother and little sister


Seeing but not hearing


Their beloved aunts and uncles growl.


“Tell me what they are saying,


We want so much to know!”




沒有留言:

張貼留言